Bali Hotels › Seminyak & Legian Hotels
Updated: August 30, 2023
My Favorite Hotels in Bali
• Best Seminyak Hotel: W Bali
• Best Legian Hotel: Padma Resort
• Best Kuta Hotel: Hard Rock
• Best Jimbaran Hotel: Four Seasons
• Best Nusa Dua Hotel: St. Regis
• Best Ubud Hotel: Four Seasons Sayan
• Best New Hotel: Raffles Bali
The Best Areas in Seminyak & Legian for First-Time Visitors
1. Seminyak Beach & Petitenget
Just north of Legian (up from Jalan Arjuna road) is an area sometimes called Double Six Beach, but it’s really part of Seminyak, which also incorporates the more traditional (and quieter) area of Petitenget. Offering the same sort of surf and sunsets as Kuta and Legian, the sand does, however, become a less inviting gray. Facilities all over Seminyak are generally classier than at Kuta and Legian, and most accommodation on or near the beach are expensive resorts and boutique hotels. The majority of budget-priced guesthouses were knocked down years ago and only a few midrange options have survived the growth. There are plenty of facilities within the backstreets but note: access is not always easy because of the confusing layout of roads which make distances longer than imagined.
• Best Hotels near Seminyak Beach: Double-Six Seminyak • Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa • W Bali Seminyak • Blu-Zea Resort by Double-Six • Elysian Boutique Villa Hotel • The Samaya Seminyak • Alila Seminyak • Anantara Seminyak Resort • The Colony Hotel • The Oberoi • Amerta Seminyak
2. Seminyak (around Seminyak Square)
Seminyak is about twice as long and wide as Kuta or Legian. So, there’s plenty of space in the backstreets for newly-built accommodation, which includes an abundance of villas, some surrounded by rice-fields and many with a private pool. The layout of streets is confusing and walking around can be tiring, so it makes sense to stay somewhere central – e.g. around Seminyak Square, a petite, inviting shopping center close to the sea and its beach-clubs and surrounded by upmarket amenities. Access to hotels north of Seminyak Square can be problematic from the main road and places to the south can be surprisingly isolated from facilities.
• Best Hotels near Seminyak Square: Royal Samaja Villas • Amadea Resort & Villas • U Paasha • Cicada Luxury Townhouses • Chimera Villas • Oberoi Luxury Villas • Mutiara Bali Resort Villas & Spa • Seminyak Square Hotel • Puri Cendana Resort
3. Legian Beach
North of Kuta, the beachside road that turns inland (and renamed Jalan Melasti) is replaced by a pedestrian path alongside Legian Beach. The backstreets of Legian, however, are also narrow and winding, and the major thoroughfare, Jalan Legian, is still often gridlocked, but the pace throughout Legian is undeniably less hectic. Like its southern neighbor, Legian Beach is also wide, white, and wavy – often more suitable for surfers than swimmers. With massive beachside hotels catering for families, Legian is justifiably popular for those travelling with children, while cheaper accommodation and plenty of other amenities can be found in the backstreets nearby.
• Best Hotels near Legian Beach: Legian Beach Hotel • Padma Resort • Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa • Niksoma Boutique Beach Resort • Anantara Vacation Club
4. Legian Backstreets
Just like Kuta, the narrow and twisting lanes between Legian Beach and Jalan Legian (the main norht-south road) are crammed with places to eat, drink, shop, and stay – and, of course, crowded with people. The vast choice of hotels ranges from family-owned homestays dating back to the ‘60s to chic boutique-style hotels, but most resorts are alongside Legian Beach (see above). One definite advantage of staying in the backstreets is the convenience: within walking distance of the malls and nightclubs of Kuta and the bars and bistros of more sophisticated Seminyak.
• Best Hotels in Legian Backstreets: Bandha Hotel & Suites • Astagina Resort Villa and Spa • Poppies Hotel • Ossotel • Bali Chaya Hotel Legian • Three Brothers Bungalows • Hotel Kumala Pantai • ibis Styles Bali Legian Hotel • Adys Inn