Bali Hotels › AlamKulKul Hotel
Updated: June 23, 2022
My Favorite Bali Hotels
• Best Kuta Hotel: AlamKulkul
• Best Legian Hotel: Padma Resort
• Best Seminyak Hotel: W Bali
• Best Jimbaran Hotel: Four Seasons
• Best Nusa Dua Hotel: Grand Hyatt
• Best Ubud Hotel: Four Seasons Sayan
• Best New Hotel: Buahan (Banyan Tree)
• Location: Across the road from the beach in central Kuta
• Hotel website: alamkulkulbali
• Hotel phone: +62 (0)361 752 520
• Check prices for AlamKulkul Boutique Resort
AlamKulKul Boutique Resort – Charm, ambience, and tranquility in the midst of chaotic Kuta.
Unique within Bali’s most hedonistic region, this hotel is focused on tradition and tropical gardens, with the name emanating from the traditional kulkul tower and the Indonesian word for ‘nature’. Buildings are beautifully designed and the gardens lovingly landscaped, featuring abundant ponds, palms, and fountains. Both pools are adequately sized, feature pretty wooden decking, and have pool bars. The standard rooms are very comfortable, offering patios/balconies overlooking lush foliage, while villas feature large tiled balconies, four-poster beds, and extensive windows which maximize light and views. All rooms are located away from the beachside road and its relentless traffic. And remarkably, this resort is just meters from the famed beach of Kuta and its never-ending shops, cafés, and bars.
AlamKulKul Boutique Resort – The Location
- Area: Faces the beachside road near the invisible border between Kuta and the quieter region of Legian. Across the busy road is the world-renowned Kuta Beach.
- Address: Jalan Pantai Kuta, the road (one-way heading north) alongside the beach in the northern end of Kuta, the major tourist region in Bali.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is by metered taxi or chartered car with a driver. This takes about 25 minutes, depending on traffic.
- Handy to: All the facilities in Kuta and Legian, including the Beachwalk Shopping Center.
AlamKulKul Boutique Resort – The Basics
- Guests: Caters for all but most guests are couples of all ages.
- Beach: Just across the road, 50m from the hotel entrance, Kuta Beach is wide and shady. Waves are often more suitable for surfers however, so take care and swim between the flags.
- Views: All rooms face the tropical gardens and/or pool. None have sea views.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Java Villas have private plunge pools.
- Extras: Guests at the villas can use the exclusive Club Lounge.
- Parking: No parking at the hotel in this very busy part of Kuta. And think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +62 (0)361 752 520
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: alamkulkul.com
AlamKulKul Boutique Resort – Amenities
- Pool: Two pools of an adequate size with a stylish wooden deck and a bar alongside each.
- Spa: Much more inviting than the massage parlors around Kuta, Jamu Traditional Spa uses organic products and traditional methods. Affordable package deals available.
- Fitness Center: None.
AlamKulKul Boutique Resort – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Bunga Kelapa – The ‘Coconut Flower’ offers a comfortable setting facing the garden and upstairs seats overlooking the road. Buffet breakfast for guests, and open all day for a range of Balinese, Indonesian, and Asian food. • The Veranda – For cocktails, people-watching, and sunsets over the road. • Papa’s Limoncello Bali – Al fresco Italian bistro alongside the road. Salads, soups, sandwiches, and famous for its pizzas (including the burning ‘Volcano Pizza’). Also, happy hours and lunchtime specials. • Poolside Bar – Lovely thatched hut facing the pool at the front, particularly popular during sunset happy hours. Snacks and tapas all day.
- Breakfast: Included in all rates.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours a day.
AlamKulKul Boutique Resort – Rooms
- Room Types: Alam Room • New Alam Room • Alam Lanai • New Alam Lanai • Alam Villa • Family Room • New Family Room • Quad Room • Java Villa • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking permitted on the balconies/verandas and elsewhere, but not in the rooms.
- Best Room: Very secluded and spacious, the Java Villas feature enchanting traditional furnishing (Javanese, not Balinese), outdoor bathrooms, and plunge pools.
- For Families: The special Family Rooms easily accommodate families of 4, while Quad Rooms contain 4 single beds.
AlamKulKul Boutique Resort – Local Transport
- Walking: Walkable to everything that Kuta and Legian have to offer.
- Public Transport: In lieu of any public transport, the Kura-Kura Bus company links Kuta/Legian with Ubud and the rest of southern Bali, but schedules are convoluted and routes confusing.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: To go anywhere within southern Bali, hire metered taxis which are abundant, cheap, and comfortable. For longer distances, charter a car with a driver for a negotiable fare. Drivers hang around street corners but it’s better to organize through the hotel. Driving a car is not recommended anywhere in Bali, and renting one in Kuta is madness. Motorbikes are easy to rent and useful for getting around the backstreets of Kuta and Legian, but not so elsewhere in southern Bali.
- Shuttle Bus: To reach another town outside of southern Bali, e.g. Ubud, buy a ticket at a travel agency for a shuttle bus. The main operator, Perama, offers many services from its office on Jalan Legian street in Kuta, nearly 2 km away.
AlamKulKul Boutique Resort – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Many places along the beachside road can be noisy and none offer sea views. The best are:
- Bella Italia Kuta Beach – Quaint setting and authentic food, about 150m north.
- The Beach Lounge Bali – Colorful and comfy lounges, beanbags, and tables at street-level. More relaxed tables inside and upstairs. About 150m south of the hotel.
- The Stones – Several options in the neighboring mega-resort, including the Big Fish Bar & Grill. 300m south of the AlamKulkul.
Also, plenty of quieter places along the side road, Jalan Melasti, just around the corner to the north such as:
- Sidewalk Café, Kuta – Asian food, burgers, and pizzas, with tables on the footpath and quieter seating upstairs. 500m.
- Sheppy’s Bar and Restaurant – Long-time favorite for TV sports, burgers, pizzas, and hearty serves of nasi goreng or bangers and mash. Next to the Sidewalk Café.
Endless minimarts and shops of various quality in all directions.
- Beachwalk Shopping Center – For a congregated and more varied selection of places to eat, drink, and shop in comfort, stroll south (750m) along the road to this world-class mall.
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter