Bali Hotels › Four Seasons Ubud
Updated: January 27, 2023
My Favorite Bali Hotels
• Nusa Dua: St. Regis
• Jimbaran: Four Seasons
• Seminyak: W Bali
• Legian: Padma Resort
• Kuta: Hard Rock
• Ubud: Four Seasons Sayan
• Best New Hotel: Raffles Bali
• Location: Secluded spectacular location 3km from Ubud along the Ayung River.
• Hotel website: fourseasons.com
• Hotel phone: +62 (0)361 977 577
• Check prices for Four Seasons Resort at Sayan
Four Seasons Resort at Sayan – Unimaginable opulence in a dramatic, riverside setting.
From the main road, a short path connects to a floating footbridge above a yawning valley to the lobby shaped like a spaceship suspended in mid-air. The split-level suites, with separate living and dining areas, face the river and ravine smothered with trees. The villas, with a private pool, are hidden behind lofty walls — sacrificing views for seclusion. All types of accommodations are spacious, luxurious, and immaculately furnished. They feature modern touches like an espresso machine, a bathtub, a wide balcony or patio, and abundant windows to maximize the views. The massive infinity pool provides some of the finest views anywhere in Ubud and has edges that blend into the forest. The Four Seasons also offers many imaginative tours, activities, and a kids club (quite rare for Ubud). The award-winning Four Seasons isn’t as isolated as it may seem. It’s about a 20-minute trip to central Ubud by resort shuttle bus.
Four Seasons Resort at Sayan – The Location
- Address: Along Jalan Raya Sayan road in Sayan, a village that is part of a combined area called Ubud, the most popular tourist region in central Bali. Although only about 6 kilometers west of central Ubud. The lobby is about 200 meters from the main road.
- Area: In a spectacular but isolated area, with only a few simple shops and cafés within walking distance. Alongside the Ayung River, used for serious white-water rafting.
- How to Get There: Best to arrange an airport pickup with the hotel, which is about 1.5 hours (35 km) away (depending on traffic). See other options under “Local Transport” below.
Four Seasons Resort at Sayan – The Basics
- Guests: Caters well to families, but the isolation, serenity, and rates mostly attract older couples.
- Kids Club: The Pici Pici (Little Snail) Kids Club, ages four to 12, is among the finest in Ubud. Offers diverse activities with a cultural focus and the usual computer games and toys.
- Views: Panoramic views from all suites of the forest, rice fields, ravine, and/or river. Villas are secluded behind walls.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: All villas (not suites) feature a decent-sized private pool.
- Extras: Yoga classes. Free shuttle bus service to central Ubud.
- Parking: More free and secure parking spots than most resorts in Ubud, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +62 (0)361 977 577
- Email: Send a message through their website.
- Website: fourseasons.com
Four Seasons Resort at Sayan – Amenities
- Pool: Stunning split-level infinity pool with edges alongside the river and untouched forest.
- Spa: The world-class Sacred River Spa boasts an extraordinary setting among lily ponds. Extra-long list of traditional treatments.
- Fitness Center: As impressive as expected. Steam room, plunge pools, and sauna. Open 24/7.
- For Families: Baby-sitting. Cots. Lessons in Balinese culture. Free meals for children under six and half-price for those aged seven to 12. Children’s menus in the restaurants.
- Activities: Cooking lessons. Traditional dance/music performances. Tours of rice fields. Rafting on the Ayung River below.
Four Seasons Resort at Sayan – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars:
Ayung Terrace — Focus on Indonesian cuisine, including Balinese specialties like babi guling (roast pig). Setting and views must be seen to be believed. Open all day. Themed buffets some nights.
Riverside Café — Down the hillside and along the mighty Ayung River. Casual meals during the day, and more sophisticated and romantic dining at night.
Jati Bar — Near the lobby, with jaw-dropping views in all directions. Cocktails, afternoon tea, and snacks.
- Breakfast: Not normally included, but it depends on the type of room and how it was booked.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Four Seasons Resort at Sayan – Rooms
- Room Types: River-View Two-Bedroom Villa • Family Suite • Royal Villa • One-Bedroom Suite • One-Bedroom Duplex Suite • Riverfront One-Bedroom Villa • One Bedroom Villa • Two-Bedroom Villa • Sayan Villa • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking permitted in the rooms or public areas but allowed elsewhere.
- Best Room: The Riverfront One-Bedroom Villas are the finest. Multi-tiered, with a private pool below and a traditional bale hut above the luxurious bedroom – all with breathtaking views.
- For Families: All suites and villas (whether one or two bedrooms) can squeeze in an extra one or two fold-up single beds. With two bathrooms, bedrooms, and TVs, the fabulous Family Suites can comfortably accommodate two adults and two children under 12. They are conveniently close to facilities for children.
Four Seasons Resort at Sayan – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Nowhere exciting to walk to in either direction along the busy main road. Some hardy expats cycle around Ubud, but the road near the Four Seasons is too busy and hilly for cycling. And there’s nowhere to rent bicycles anyway.
- Public Transport: There is no reliable public transport anywhere in or around Ubud.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: Driving a car is not recommended anywhere in Bali, but motorbikes are popular for visiting local attractions without the traffic of southern Bali. Both can be rented from the hotel. Metered taxis from southern Bali can drop passengers off in Ubud but are forbidden to operate there. So the best (and really, only) option for day trips is to charter a car with a driver through the hotel.
- Shuttle Bus: For towns popular with tourists (e.g. Kuta and Sanur) shuttle buses are comfortable and cheap, if a little overcrowded at times. Purchase shuttle bus tickets at a travel agency. Some companies pick up guests from their hotels, but services for Perama, (the sole island-wide operator) only leave from its office on Jalan Hanoman street in central Ubud, 4km from the resort.
Four Seasons Resort at Sayan – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
There are no places of any note to eat or drink within walking distance, so arrange a lift on the hotel shuttle bus. These four places are long-standing and always popular, so it’s best to book ahead.
- Murni’s Warung – On four levels facing a river and ravine on the outskirts of Ubud, it’s been a favorite since 1974 for Indonesian, Thai, and French food. Art shop inside.
- Ibu Rai Restaurant – Has been around since the ‘70s (but has moved since). Still one of the finest for its elegant decor, extensive menu, and wine list. Convenient location along Monkey Forest Road.
- Bebek Bengi – Specializes in roast duck, although other meals are available. Cozy setting with private areas and cushions. On trendy Jalan Hanoman street.
- Café Wayan & Bakery – Romantic garden setting along Monkey Forest Road serving Indonesian food.
- There’s a minimart along the main road near the resort entrance, but very little else. So, arrange a hotel shuttle bus to central Ubud and shop along Jalan Hanoman street, with a selection of boutiques to rival Seminyak, and/or the produce and art markets.
Four Seasons Resort at Sayan – The Hotel
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter