Bali Hotels › Poppies
Updated: April 14, 2023
My Favorite Bali Hotels
• Nusa Dua: St. Regis
• Jimbaran: Four Seasons
• Seminyak: W Bali
• Legian: Padma Resort
• Kuta: Hard Rock
• Ubud: Four Seasons Sayan
• Best New Hotel: Raffles Bali
• Location: In Kuta (southern Bali), nestled between two main roads, a 10-minute walk to Kuta Beach, and about 15 minutes from the airport.
• Hotel website: poppiesbali.com
• Hotel phone: +62 (0)361 751 059
• Check prices for Hard Rock Hotel
Poppies – Historic, elegant, and charming oasis within the chaos of Kuta.
One of the very first hotels built in the region, Poppies oozes a romantic vibe. Quietly secluded behind tall stone walls and directly opposite the equally-renowned Poppies Restaurant. The gardens feature fountains, bridges, ponds of goldfish, and thatched umbrellas with rattan chairs. The gorgeous cottages include a corner sofa, thatched roof, open-air bathroom with sunken marble bathtub, and a patio facing flourishing gardens that provide privacy. The stylish pool is a decent size and lined with shady palms and blossoming bougainvillea. Alongside it are a library, bar, and jacuzzi. The hotel is, remarkably, located amid all the shops, cafés, and bars in Kuta and about 10 minutes on foot from the famous beach. Breakfast is included.
Poppies – The Location
- Area: Along a narrow part of the lane stretching between the two main roads: Jalan Pantai Kuta, which heads one-way north alongside the beach, and Jalan Legian, the main shopping street, which heads one-way south.
- Address: No. 19, Poppies Lane I, Kuta. At the eastern end of Poppies Lane I in the southern part of Kuta, Bali’s most popular tourist region. Note: the entrance is easy to miss.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is a metered taxi or car with a driver. This takes about 15 minutes, depending on traffic. But ask about possible free services to/from the airport when booking.
- Handy to: All the facilities in Kuta. Perama shuttle bus office.
Poppies – The Basics
- Guests: Most guests are couples.
- Beach: About a 10 minutes walk from the renowned Kuta Beach. The beach is busy at times but wide and shady, and the sunsets are extraordinary. Waves are often more suitable for surfers, so take care and swim between the flags.
- Views: All cottages overlook the lovely gardens.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
- Parking: No parking. Only brave and experienced taxis venture along Poppies Lane I. And think long and hard before driving around Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Book ahead – there are a limited number of cottages, and they are very popular.
- Phone: +62 (0)361 751 059
- Email: Send a message through their website www.poppiesbali.com/en/contact
- Website: poppiesbali.com
Poppies – Amenities
- Pool: Stylish pool lined with palms, shrubs, and water spouts. Jacuzzi and library alongside.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this old-fashioned boutique hotel.
- Other Facilities: Reading room (library) with free use of computers/internet. Tours with a driver can be arranged.
Poppies – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: There is no in-house restaurant, but Poppies Restaurant is across from the hotel (see below). It is part of the same company and was built in 1973, before the hotel. A small bar at the hotel pool serves drinks and a limited range of light snacks.
- Breakfast: Included in all rates and can be served in the room. Best enjoyed on the private patio.
- Room Service: Available daily from 8 am to 10.30 pm.
Poppies – Rooms
- Room Types: Cottage • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed in or near the rooms but permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: All cottages are the same inside, but the quietest ones will be farther away from the lobby.
- For Families: Although children are welcome, it does not cater to families, and there are far better options elsewhere.
Poppies – Local Transport
- Walking: Walkable to everything that Kuta has to offer.
- Cars & Taxis: To go anywhere within southern Bali, metered taxis are abundant, cheap, and comfortable. For longer distances, organize a chartered car with a driver (for a negotiable fare) at the hotel. Driving a car is not recommended anywhere in Bali, and renting one in Kuta is sheer madness.
- Motorbikes: These can be rented at local agencies and are great for getting around Tuban/Kuta/Legian – less so for anywhere else in southern Bali. A popular way to reach anywhere across this part of Bali is by motorbike taxi called an ojek. Find one on the street for a negotiable fare or book one at a fixed rate using the downloadable apps Grab and Gojek.
- Shuttle Bus: To reach another tourist area outside of southern Bali, like Ubud, buy a ticket at a travel agency for a shuttle bus. The primary operator, Perama, provides services all over Bali from its office on Jalan Legian street in Kuta, only 300m around the corner from the hotel.
Poppies – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Poppies Lane I – Sadly, many long-established restaurants and bars along Poppies Lane I were closed (often abandoned) during 2020-21, but others should open when demand improves.
- Poppies Restaurant – Built in 1973 and one of Kuta’s first, it is still very elegant. Shady courtyard setting and not as expensive as imagined. Famous for its Pina Colada in a coconut shell. Almost opposite the hotel. Reservations recommended.
- Bamboo Corner – Simple but very popular, offering a huge range of Western and Indonesian meals at surprisingly low prices. Barely 50m along Poppies Lane I towards the beach.
- Don Juan Mexican Restaurant & Bar – Casual new Mexican eatery at what is still called ‘bemo corner’ (250m down Jalan Legian from the hotel). Tasty tacos and tortillas, and perfect for watching people (and the traffic chaos).
- Made’s Warung – Established in 1969 and still famous for its colonial-era décor, photos, and traditional Indonesian food. About 300m around the corner from Poppies.
Nearby Shops & Markets
- Poppies Lane I – Slowly recovering and should return to some normality from 2023 onwards. The range of shops have always been better along the main road, Jalan Legian, just 200m around the corner from the hotel.
- Beachwalk Shopping Center – For the finest places to eat, drink, and shop in air-conditioned comfort. This world-class shopping paradise is about 800m away. Stroll along Poppies Lane I towards the beach and north up the beachside road.
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter