Bali Hotels › Viceroy Hotel
Updated: March 3, 2023
My Favorite Bali Hotels
• Nusa Dua: St. Regis
• Jimbaran: Four Seasons
• Seminyak: W Bali
• Legian: Padma Resort
• Kuta: Hard Rock
• Ubud: Four Seasons Sayan
• Best New Hotel: Raffles Bali
• Location: Fantastic rural setting, about 3 km from Ubud
• Hotel website: viceroybali.com
• Hotel phone: +62 (0)361 971 777
• Check prices for Viceroy
Viceroy – Romantic, award-winning haven in a spectacular setting.
This sophisticated, family-run boutique resort offers personalized service, with over 170 staff serving just 40 villas and suites. All villas (with one or two bedrooms) are perched along a hillside offering uninterrupted views of the rice fields, forest, and valley. They are all spacious and feature a subtle Balinese design and decor, a marble bathroom, and an espresso machine. The standout feature in each is, of course, the private pool, which is large and uniquely heated. The newer suites are more modest but still luxurious. The main infinity pool is divine and blends into the unspoiled hillside across the river. Adding enormously to the appeal are the elegant CasCades restaurant and world-class, five-star Apéritif Restaurant; both use ingredients from the spice garden and greenhouse on the grounds. With few shops or cafés within walking distance, the Viceroy is isolated but only a short ride to downtown Ubud via the free resort shuttle bus.
Viceroy – The Location
- Area: Facing a valley within a forest. The few facilities along the main road, 500m from the resort, are more suited to locals than tourists. However, as more resorts and hotels open up nearby, facilities within walking distance of the resort are improving.
- Address: Jl. Lanyahan, Br. Nagi, Ubud. Along a paved laneway about 500m from the main road (Jalan Raya Andong). This road extends northeast of Ubud, central Bali’s most popular tourist region—about 3km northeast of Ubud Market.
- How to Get There: Best to arrange airport transfers with the hotel, which is about 1.5 hours (40km) away, depending on traffic.
- Handy to: Birdwatching at Petulu village.
Viceroy – The Basics
- Guests: Almost all guests are couples, with a definite focus on honeymooners.
- Views: Most villas overlook the valley and pristine forest on the other side of the river.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Every villa features a private pool, which is sizeable and more than just a plunge pool. It is also heated because it gets surprisingly cool in these hilly parts of Ubud.
- Extras: Free shuttle bus service to downtown Ubud.
- Parking: Enough free and secure parking spots, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +62 (0)361 971 777
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: viceroybali.com
Viceroy – Amenities
- Pool: The extraordinary pool faces an untouched hillside and valley. Infinity edges that somehow blend into the forest all around. Luxurious gazebos and swim-up bar.
- Spa: One of the premier settings on Bali facing the valley, Lembah Spa provides a unique combination of traditional treatments and modern techniques.
- Fitness Center: Very good size considering the limited number of guests.
- Activities: Yoga. Lessons in Balinese cooking and dancing. Cycling and hiking tours.
- Other Facilities: Boutique. Heliport.
Viceroy – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Many ingredients are grown organically within the greenhouse and vegetable/spice garden on the resort grounds. CasCades Restaurant – Exquisite position facing the valley. Top-notch cuisine and very romantic at night. The attached Viceroy Bar shares the same beautiful views. Vast selection of wines, cocktails, and liquor – best enjoyed with live music. • Apéritif – Restaurant & Bar – Probably Bali’s greatest wine list and decor that must be seen to be believed. Even the bathrooms seem to be from a Great Gatsby movie. Recently voted Indonesia’s Best Restaurant. Degustation menus available.
- Breakfast: Can be included depending on the room and how it was booked.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Viceroy – Rooms
- Room Types: Junior Suite • Pool Suite • Terrace Pool Villa • Deluxe Terrace Pool Villa • Elephant Villa • Vice Regal Villa • Viceroy Villa • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Strict no-smoking policy. Check with reception before lighting up.
- Best Room: All accommodations are gorgeous, so defining the ‘best’ is almost impossible. The signature Viceroy Villas are truly presidential: sumptuous, with two bedrooms and marble bathrooms, a living/dining area, and a large heated pool.
- For Families: A few villas have two bedrooms and a separate living/dining area. Some suites (with one bedroom) have connecting doors. However, the Viceroy is not set up that well for families.
Viceroy – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Some pleasant strolls among rice fields just up the street, but too far for anything else on foot. The roads are too steep, narrow, and potholed for cycling. Ask the hotel about bike rentals.
- Public Transport: There is no reliable public transport anywhere in or around Ubud.
- Cars & Taxis: Car rental can be arranged at the hotel, but driving anywhere in Bali is not recommended. Metered taxis from southern Bali can drop passengers off in Ubud but are forbidden to operate here. So the best (and really, only) option for day trips is to charter a car with a driver through the hotel.
- Motorbikes: Motorbikes are easy to rent and popular for visiting local attractions without the traffic of southern Bali. There’s a motorbike taxi called an ojek. Drivers might not come out this far, but try booking one at a set rate using the downloadable apps Grab and Gojek.
- Shuttle Bus: For towns popular with tourists (e.g. Kuta and Sanur), shuttle buses are comfortable and cheap. Buy a ticket at a travel agency for a shuttle bus. Some companies pick up guests from their hotels, but buses for Perama (the sole island-wide operator) only leave from its office on Jalan Hanoman street, 4km away. .
Viceroy – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- The only places to eat or drink within walking distance are in the neighboring Kamandalu resort, 250m along the laneway towards the main road. Options include the poolside Aira Café, open all day for casual, tasty meals.
Otherwise, hop on the resort shuttle bus and try these long-standing favorites::
- Murni’s Warung – On four levels facing a river and ravine, it’s been legendary since the mid-1970s. Range of Indonesian, Thai, and French food. Serene position on the outskirts of Ubud. Art shop inside.
- Ibu Oka – This also has been around since the ‘70s (but has moved since). Still one of the finest for its elegant decor and extensive menu and wine list. Convenient (and busy) position along Monkey Forest Road.
- Bebek Bengil Dirty Duck Diner – Specializes in roast duck, although other meals are available. Cozy setting with private areas and cushions. On trendy Jalan Hanoman street.
- Café Wayan – Extensive garden setting midway along crowded Monkey Forest Road. Romantic setting and not as expensive as imagined. Also, a bakery.
- A basic grocery shop is on the laneway to the resort. Along the busy main road (500m from the resort) are some minimarts and souvenir shops, but little else. So, arrange a shuttle bus with the resort to central Ubud and visit Jalan Hanoman street (3km), where the trendy boutiques and chic restaurants rival Seminyak these days.
- Petulu – About 2.5 km up the main road (ask for exact directions at the turn-off to the village). For reasons no one understands, hundreds of white herons and egrets have been flocking for decades to trees in this village only, arriving en masse from about 4 pm daily. It’s a remarkable sight, best enjoyed from a low-key café among the rice fields.
Viceroy – The Hotel
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter